Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day3: In Orbit

Wow!

The Space Center is quite the place, and so is Huntsville. It seems to be full of smart, friendly people, and the area is beautiful.

At the Space Center, I got on a ride that simulated (very realistically!) a flight over Mars. Amazingly, our pilot found a previously undiscovered Martian Roller Coaster, and was able to connect to the track and we rode it. Those old Martians sure could build a roller coaster. I hear Disney plans to use the roller-coaster as it's centerpiece for Mars-Disney, opening in the spring of 2052.

Now remember, that spring on MARS, not Earth, and also, there are time zone differences. So if you are in Ohio, that's actually winter of 2054; if you are in Alabama, that's fall of 2054; if you are in Indiana - well . . . who knows?

For lunch, we ate in the Space Center cafeteria, where I had a "Schirra," a grilled chicken sandwich on flatbread, with cajun seasoning and spicy peppers. I guess Wally must have been quite a guy. Monnie had the "Gordo," named after astronaut Gordon Cooper. It was sliced ham and turkey on a croissant. I guess Gordo must have been more white bread - or French bread - than Wally.

I also rode the G-Force ride with Roxanne. It was pretty unbelievable. We were spinning so fast it was impossible for anything to move, which was lucky for what was left of the Schirra. I left the centrifuge dizzy and nauseated - but I was at least 2 inches taller and with 20% less wrinkles, so it was all worth it. Monnie had refused to come on the ride - I'll bet she was envious when she saw my green - yet surprising smooth - skin, as I staggered off the ride.

I also saw a "quarantine unit," where the astronauts were quarantined after a flight. They were truly sardines in a can during that time. They may not have picked up any germs from outsiders, or passed any germs to the outside world while in that teeny-tiny living area, but they sure had no secrets from each other. It reminded me of an office I once shared.

The most surprising thing: The bathrooms at the NASA Space Center. The bathroom at the rest stop on 33 on the way to Columbus is more high tech! I was expecting "cutting edge" toliets (well, not literally), and hoping to find the answer to how astronauts go the bathroom anyhow. But no - not even a blow dryer for your hands, just a "you have to tug extra hard" paper towel dispenser.

Should we blame Bush, or Obama?

Later, we met Monnie's very gracious Mom, and her two cutie pie little dogs, Marshall and Oliver. Monnie said she picked the name Oliver for the new pup because she wanted something "classy and formal," and his full name is something like Sir Oliver Mc'FluffyBottoms," or something like that - which, yes - does give it that touch of classic elegance.

Monnie also showed off Huntsville, and there was plenty to show off. We went to the top of Monte Sano Mountain (which I thought should be called Monnie-Sano). Everything was in bloom and it was very, very pretty.

Sweet home-away-from home - ALABAMA!!

Roxanne bought herself a cap with an A on it, causing someone to ask us "Is that A for Alabama or Arkansas?" When I said "Alabama," he said, "Well, I'm from Arkansas and a Razorback fan, but I won't hold that against you." So I replied, "We're actually from Ohio, if you'd like to hold that against us." This caused him to just grunt and grin, and say no more, but I could see the wheels turning in his brain, and the blood starting to form in the corner of his mouth as he bit his tongue.

Tomorrow, we hope to go to DeSoto Caverns! Also, Nicole insists that she isn't leaving Alabama without a manicure, and Roxanne is going to have her first massage at the hotel spa tomorrow. It should be quite a day.

2 comments:

  1. Huh. I wonder what office you could be talking about. Surely you never felt like a sardine while working for OIT? Not with such lovely and refreshing company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to keep "what office" a mystery. But I will say that I expect the NASA quarantine unit designers will be tasked with redesigning 3rd floor HDL . . .

      Delete